fishboy
2 18
2 36
fishboy
   ""For all the points on the compass, there is only one direction.""
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:10 pm
I've had an issue lately with the level editor. I have a level I've been working on since before the patch, actually. I kept opening old versions, making a few changes, and saving as new versions, in the way a cautious person would likely do. As I said, my first few files were done in the unpatched game. Then I opened one or two of those and saved new versions of them while I had the beta patch. Then I opened those and saved new versions after I'd gotten the released patch. And now when I open them, I can't move around items. They display as red (unplaceable) even when I'm dropping the item in an open space. Is anybody else having this issue? Particularly if you never installed the beta patch, I'd be interested to know.

BigFoot
47 129
9 396
BigFoot
   "Professional Eets Player"
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:16 pm
I've also just noticed this yesterday, but we haven't been able to reliably reproduce it just yet. CheesyRamen is looking into how to reproduce the problem now.

As a work around, try moving some of the items are a bit to reset their collision zones. I noticed this happened to a rotated emotion platform yesterday, for example, and moving it fixed the problem.

Thanks for the tip!

CheesyRamen
19 108
5 277
CheesyRamen
   "Eets Puzzle Bamboozler"
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:28 pm
Ok, found it. It has to do with saving a level, rotating a platform, then moving an item to where the platform used to be, then saving again. When you reload the Puzzle, you won't be able to place items where the platform used to be, unless you try the work around bigfoot mentioned above (move the platform in question, so its 'ghost' disappears).

Anyways, now that we found what caused the bug, Bigfoot's working on fixing it! Happy Marsh Bud

fishboy
2 18
2 36
fishboy
   ""For all the points on the compass, there is only one direction.""
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:07 pm
Thanks, fellas. I just tried that, but every time I reload a level, the ghosts seem to come back. This is even after I move around every platform, save the level, open a completely unrelated level, then open the new version of my level that I had just saved. What did help for me as a workaround was that every time I ran the level, the ghosts went away. So, load the level to play: ghosts are there until you hit "Play" and then "Stop" one time. Works the same in the editor and in the testing area of the editor. So I tried running my level, then saving it as a new file, then loading the new file. That didn't work. Sad

BigFoot
47 129
9 396
BigFoot
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:38 pm
We located the problem, and I'm in the process of fixing it now. Yup, the problem happens everytime you load a level...

However, it takes a while for us to release a patch because of the number of versions we now have floating around. We try to make sure we produce the fewest hassles for our customers (that's the Klei Way), but it becomes pretty crazy on our end.

I'll try to get this out ASAP, and I think I'm also going to make a blog post about this soon, as we're getting ready to launch on more sites, and the problem of patching is going to get out of hand... Scared Marsh Bud

Drgamer
0 1
7 83
Drgamer
   "Replay Master"
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:25 pm
Exactly how many versions are there out? (I don't mean exact, exact, but I mean a off-hand number if you can't get a more specific number)

BigFoot
47 129
9 396
BigFoot
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:48 pm
There are, including the beta patches, at least 8 different versions of Eets out there, each just slightly different.

Most of these are no longer distributed (the original version of the game launched in March, for example), but we still support them because many people have them.

Once we launch on other sites, so that more people know about Eets and we can grow the community, each site has its own copy protection mechanism, and so we'll have many more versions. Scared Marsh Bud

Drgamer
0 1
7 83
Drgamer
   "Replay Master"
Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:06 pm
That's what I hate about the so many sites changing the security code stuff... It makes it (Eventually) so hard to update the game, that the creators stop making patches... PERIOD

Sad
Scared Marsh Bud

Isn't there some way to limit the other sites changing it? I didn't think they'd have permission to alter it, unless you gave it to them :/

BigFoot
47 129
9 396
BigFoot
Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:14 am
The problem really lies in that each distribution channel has it's own mechanism of delivery. If we don't follow their guidelines, they simply won't distribute our game (and quite rightly so!)

Of course, this is pretty unideal. We've got some solutions for this in the future, but since we're just launching this company, we really need that broad user base. If we don't, we won't have the means to make even better games!

So if you can bear with the inconveniences for now, we'll do everything we can to balance our need to let as many people as possible enjoy the game, and also to support our community.

I hope you see that we're no ordinary company, and that we really do everything we can for our fans! In my humble opinion, if we treat you right, we'll be rewarded with loyal fans. I hope Wink

What do you think? Let me know how we're doing! Very Happy

BigFoot
47 129
9 396
BigFoot
Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:54 pm
New patch is out!

Download patch 1.03 here

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: