minmay
36 66
21 393
minmay
   "Replay Master"
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:59 pm
...add a confirmation code to the registration form. It's simple, it should come with your forum software, and it's very effective.

Of course, a lot of spambots can actually read those things (don't ask me HOW...), but it'll definitely reduce the number of bots that invade the forums.

CheesyRamen
19 108
5 277
CheesyRamen
   "Eets Puzzle Bamboozler"
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:22 pm
Thanks for the tip, although... we've already changed our sign up procedure to have a confirmation code (plus you now receive a confirmation email you have to confirm in order to log in).

The problem is, some spambots are still getting through... Scared Marsh Bud

This is seriously getting annoying; I gotta find some other way to get rid of the spammers... Angry Marsh Bud

*tosses Exploding Marshmallows at spammers*

minmay
36 66
21 393
minmay
   "Replay Master"
Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:42 pm
Oh. I guess I registered before that.

Yeah, there is a confirmation email, but it doesn't help much, really.

You could make it so that admins specifically have to validate your account, but that would be a little hard on new members.

And it would be plenty more work for you...

molkmizzle
9 50
2 162
molkmizzle
   "Pants Pirate"
Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:16 am
Why don't you just add those fields where you've got to enter a code that is shown on an image, like many sites have?

CheesyRamen
19 108
5 277
CheesyRamen
   "Eets Puzzle Bamboozler"
Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:54 am
We added that a little while ago (the confirmation codes). It seemed to work for a little while, but the smarter spambots seem to be able to read those codes. So I gotta try something different... Scared Marsh Bud

minmay
36 66
21 393
minmay
   "Replay Master"
Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:04 pm
Make sure to distort the codes enough. Use any phpBB forum as an example; there are spots and lines scattered among the numbers and they're not perfectly aligned.

Matthew
1 1
1 21
Matthew
   "I dont need no sigmature... lol"
Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:14 am
I believe some software requires a certain number of members to accept applications from a join request but this may put people off joining. Confused

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: