Merlyn
0 0
0 2
Merlyn
   "Too lazy to write a signature . . ."
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:05 am
I installed the game as admin (it wouldn't let me install as non-admin, which is fine, since most programs won't let you, anyhow), but when I run the game as non-admin, it crashes. I haven't started the game to create a profile yet.

I've repro'd this on three machines, two with a strange non-admin setup (using "RunAsAdmin" program) and one with two user accounts, logging off and back on to switch between them.

Let me know what sort of info you'd like me to forward, logs, etc. If it need be technical, I'm a software dev, so fire away =)

CheesyRamen
19 108
5 277
CheesyRamen
   "Eets Puzzle Bamboozler"
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:30 pm
Hi Merlyn!

Thanks for pointing this out to us. As it is right now, you cannot run Eets solely under a non-admin account Scared Marsh Bud

However, I've managed to get Eets to run on a non-admin user account, by using the 'Run As' command on eets.exe while logged in as a non-admin, then running the game with the administrator account.

(I really suck at explaining sometimes, check out here to see what I mean.)

I'm not too sure if that was the same thing you did (probably so, since you're a software dev Razz), but we'll look into this to see if we can figure something out. Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Merlyn
0 0
0 2
Merlyn
   "Too lazy to write a signature . . ."
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:48 pm
There's a couple ways you can run as admin to work around the problem, and the way you mentioned worked for me, too, and solves the problem. The "RunAsAdmin" programs is a third party tool, but it basically does the same thing as "Run As...".

This problem seems to happen for sure on XP pro, but I just found out my girlfriend's computer w/ XP home doesn't SEEM to have the problem. She just had to run as admin long enough to install the game.

I looked into it a bit more, and it seems that the crash happens on XP pro cause eets fails to open the log file w/ write access. If I change the permissions for the log folder (and files under it) to "Full Control" for "Users", then the game does not crash on startup.

If the "user" folder doesn't have write access, it seems that it doesn't save your progress once you've completed a level and doesn't give an error at any point. However, it doesn't crash, either. Custom levels/replays give an error, though. If someone works around the problem by making the "log" folder writable, they should definately make the "user" folder writable, as well.

There is a problem with solving the issue by running as admin. If someone ends up loading an illegitamate data file (map or replay, etc) that causes a crash, the author of that illegitimate file might be able to tweak it so it ends up running code as admin on the client's machine. Many Windows viruses that Microsoft end up releasing patches for work like this.

I've had to do some non-admin programming in the past. Since most people are already running as admin on their machines (default for XP, but not good for security), this probably isn't much of a problem for you guys. However, if you wanted to fix it for people running as non-admin, I'd suggest storing profile/log data somewhere under the "%UserProfile%" path, since all users should have write access to their own data. The unfortunate side effect of this is that each user would have different profiles available to them, though some might see this as a benefit =)

If you can, I'd suggest you at least check out how your program runs under Windows Vista, because the default user has non-admin privileges. Vista has some hacks ("shims") put in place to mitigate this, though. I unfortunately don't currently have the Vista beta installed on any of my machines, so I can't check it out.

Interesting (unofficial) info on running as non-admin:
http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/

Love the game, though =) Awesome work.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: